"Therapeutic ultrasound- a new innovative therapy in dentistry"
The use of ultrasonography when discovered was as a therapeutic aid, but in recent times, it has become one of the most common imaging modality next to conventional radiology. Currently, its use as a therapeutic aid has been rediscovered along with its association with other specialized imaging. The aim of this paper is to highlight such advancements in the field of ultrasonography.
Key words: Ultrasonography, Therapeutic USG, Dentistry
1. Jyoti Mago, Soheyl Sheikh, Shambulingappa Pallagatti, Amit Aggarwal. Therapeutic applications of ultrasonography. Journal of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine & Radiology. 2014 ; Vol 26 : Issue 4.
2. C.A.Speed. Therapeutic ultrsound in soft tissue lesions. Rheumatology 2001;40:1331-1336.
3. Dr. Reddy Lavanya, Dr. Nallan CSK Chaitanya, Dr. Shefali Waghray, Dr.D.B.Gandhi babu , Dr.Raj Kumar Badam, Dr.Mamatha. Diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound in dentistry. Journal of Dental & Oro-facial Research Vol 11, Issue 1. Jan-Jun 2015.
4. Introduction to therapeutic ultrasound.
5. Rubin, C., Bolander, M., Ryaby, J. P., & Hadjiargyrou, M. The use of low-intensity ultrasound to accelerate the healing of fractures. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 2001; 83A(2): 259–270.
6. Li, L., Zhu, Z., Huang, C., & Chen, W. Ultrasound: a potential technique to improve osseointegration of dental implants. Medical Hypotheses.2008; 71(4): 568–571.
7. Scheven, B. a, Man, J., Millard, J. L., Cooper, P. R., Lea, S. C., Walmsley, a D., & Smith, a J. VEGF and odontoblast-like cells: stimulation by low frequency ultrasound. Archives of Oral Biology. 2009;54(2):185–91.
8. Ter Haar, G. Therapeutic ultrasound. European Journal of Ultrasound. 1999;9(1): 3–9.
9. William B. D. Forfanga, Byoung Hee Youb, In-Hyouk Song. Ultrasonic Dental Therapy: Trends and Prospects. European International Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; vol2(1).
10. Schortinghuis, J. Ultrasound stimulation of maxillofacial bone healing. Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine. 2003;63–74.
11. Erdogan, O., Esen, E., Ustün, Y., Kürkçü, M., Akova, T., Gönlüşen, G., Uysal, H., et al. Effects of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound on healing of mandibular fractures: an experimental study in rabbits. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2006;64(2):180–188.
12. Man, J., Shelton, R. M., Cooper, P. R., & Scheven, B. A. Low-intensity low frequency ultrasound promotes proliferation and differentiation of odontoblast-like cells. Journal of Endodontics. 2012;38(5): 608–613.
13. Rai, S., Goel, S., Singh, S., Kaur, M., & Panjwani, S. Prospective utility of therapeutic ultrasound indentistry -- Review with recent comprehensive update. Advanced Biomedical Research.2012;1(1):47-54.
14. Vijayendra Kumar, Dr G.K Thapliyal, Dr Priyanka Dausage. The Efficacy of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound therapy on maxillofacial bone healing- A review. J. Oral. Dent. Res. 2016; Vol(1)3:147-150.
15. Paul G. Newman and Grace S. Rozycki. The history of ultrasound. Surgical clinics of North America. 1998;78(2):179-195.
16. Tim watson. Therapeutic ultrasound. 2015. www.electrotherapy.org
17. Shubham Sharma, Deepali Rasila, Mohit Singh, Mansha Mohan. Ultrasound as a diagnostic boon in dentistry- A Review. International Journal of Scientific Study.May 2014; Vol 2: Issue 2.
18. Fouda A. Ultrasonic therapy as an adjunct treatment of temporomandibular joint dysfunction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014;117:232-7.
19. Speed CA. Therapeutic ultrasound in soft tissue lesions. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2001;40:1331-6.
20. Grieder A, Vinton PW, Cinotti WR, Kangur TT. An evaluation of ultrasonic therapy for temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1971;31:25-31.
21. R.Hoogland. Ultrasound therapy. Dec 2005. www.enraf-nonius.com
22. Watson, T. and S. Young. Therapeutic Ultrasound. Electrotherapy : Evidence Based Practice. Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone - Elsevier. 2008
23. Nussbaum, E. "The influence of ultrasound on healing tissues." Journal of Hand Therapy. 2008;11(2): 140-7.
24. Watson, T. "Ultrasound in contemporary physiotherapy practice." Ultrasonics. 2008;48(4): 321-329.
25. Koca I, Boyaci A. A new insight into the management of myofascial pain syndrome. Gaziantep Med J. 2014; 20(2):107-12.
26. van der Windt DA, van der Heijden GJ, van den Berg SG, ter Riet G, de Winter AF, Bouter LM. Ultrasound therapy for musculoskeletal disorders: a systematic review. Pain. 1999; 81(3):257-71.
27. Majelsi J, Ulalan H. High-power pain threshold ultrasound technique in the treatment of active myofascial triggers points: a randomized, double-blind, case-control study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85:833-36.
28. Koca I, Tutoglu A, Boyaci A, Ucar M, Yagiz E, Isik M, et al. A comparison of the effectiveness of low-, moderate- and high-dose ultrasound therapy applied in the treatment of myofascial pain syndrome. Mod Rheumatol. 2014; 24(4):662-66.