Effect of Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementations during weight loss on Some Anthropometric Measurements. In Peri menopausal women, Zagazig University Club
Introduction new research suggests that calcium and vitamin D supplements may be useful in preventing weight gain during menopause. Women going through menopause often experience unusual weight gain, especially around the abdomen, which can be a risk factor for other health problems, such as heart diseases .So we aimed to assess the influence of ca and vitamin d on the anthropometric measurements in preimenopausal overweight and obesity females, in the fitness club at Zagazig University.
Material and methods; This was a interventional study conducted for three months on 146 women who fulfilled the selection criteria and randomly allocated in the studied groups each group was 73 females participating in the weight loss program (balanced low caloric diet with planned exercise program ) alone (control group ),or with ca and vitamin d supplement (supplement group ) .for quantitative data analysis a student t test was used .
Results, the studied groups aged around 45.7 years (38-50), showed no significant difference (p>0.05) as regards all the demographic variables and anthropometric measurements before the intervention. After the intervention, there was a statistical significant reduction in the WC, body Wt., and BMI at the supplement group (p < 0.05).
Conclusions, Ca and vitamin d is very important component in the weight reduction programs for perimenopausal women and for heathy menopause.
3Hedley AA, Ogden CL, Johnson CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, Flegal KM 2004 . Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999-2002. JAMA 2004;291: 2847-2850.
4)Davies KM, Heaney RP, Recker RR, et al. Calcium intake and body weight. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:4635-4638.
5)Weinberg LG, Berner LA, Groves JE. Nutrient contributions of dairy foods in the United States: Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals, 1994-1996, 1998. J Am Diet Assoc 2004;104:895-902.
6 Drapeau V, Despres JP, Bouchard C, et al. Modifications in food-group consumption are relatedto long-term body-weight changes. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;80:29-37
Heaney RP. Calcium intake and the prevention of chronic disease. In: Wilson T, Temple N, eds. Frontiers in Nutrition. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 2000
7)Poehlman ET1 2002 ,Menopause, energy expenditure, and body composition. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2002 Jul;81(7):603-11. PMID: 12190834
8 Am J Clin Nutr. ,Müller MJ1, Enderle J2, Pourhassan M2, Braun W2, Eggeling B2, Lagerpusch M2, Glüer CC3, Kehayias JJ4, Kiosz D2, Bosy-Westphal A,2015 Metabolic adaptation to caloric restriction and subsequent refeeding: the Minnesota Starvation Experiment revisited. 2015 Oct;102(4):807-19. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.115.109173. Epub 2015 Sep 23.
9Liu PY, Ilich JZ, Brummel-Smith K, Ghosh S,2014 New insight into fat, muscle and bone relationship in women: determining the threshold at which body fat assumes negative relationship with bone mineral density. nt 9 J Prev Med. 2014 Nov;5(11):1452-63.PMID:25538842
19)Sternfeld B1, Dugan S 2011 .Physical activity and health during the menopausal transition. 2011 Sep;38(3):537-66. doi: 10.1016/j.ogc.2011.05.008. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am.
11) Orsatti FL1, Nahas EA, Maesta N, Nahas-Neto J, Burini RC.2008 Plasma hormones, muscle mass and strength in resistance-trained postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 2008 Apr 20;59(4):394-404. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2008.04.002. Epub 2008 May 21.
12) Nunes PR1, Barcelos LC2, Oliveira AA2, Furlanetto Júnior R2, Martins FM2, Orsatti CL2, Resende EA2, Orsatti FL2,3 2016 Effect of resistance training on muscular strength and indicators of abdominal adiposity, metabolic risk, and inflammation in postmenopausal women: controlled and randomized clinical trial of efficacy of training volume. Age (Dordr). 2016 Apr;38(2):40. doi: 10.1007/s11357-016-9901-6. Epub 2016 Mar 17.
13) Am J Cardiol. Earnest CP1, Johannsen NM, Swift DL, Lavie CJ, Blair SN, Church TS. 2013 Dose effect of cardiorespiratory exercise on metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women. 2013 Jun 15;111(12):1805-11. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2013.02.037. Epub 2013 Apr 8.
14) Sanal E1, Ardic F, Kirac S 2013 Effects of aerobic or combined aerobic resistance exercise on body composition in overweight and obese adults: gender differences. A randomized intervention study. ur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2013 Feb;49(1):1-11. Epub 2012 May 8
15) Jensen LB, Kollerup G, Quaade F, Sorensen OH. Bone minerals changes in obese women during a moderate weight loss with and without calcium supplementation. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:141–7.
16) Shapses SA, Von Thun NL, Heymsfield SB, Ricci TA, Ospina M, Pierson RN Jr, Stahl T. Bone turnover and density in obese premenopausal women during moderate weight loss and calcium supplementation. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:1329–36.
17) Cifuentes M, Morano AB, Chowdhury HA, Shapses SA. Energy restriction reduces fractional calcium absorption in mature obese and lean rats. J Nutr. 2002;132:2660–6.
0Shi H, Dirienzo D, Zemel MB. Effects of dietary calcium on adipocyte lipid metabolism and body weight regulation in energy-restricted aP2-agouti transgenic mice. FASEB J. 2001;15:291–293. [PubMed]
19-Schrager S J Dietary calcium intake and obesity.
Am Board Fam Pract. 2005 May-Jun; 18(3):205-10.[PubMed] [Ref list]
20)Zemel MB, Thompson W, Milstead A, Morris K, Campbell P. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes. Res. 2004;12:582–90. [PubMed]
21)Melanson EL, Sharp TA, Schneider J, Donahoo WT, Grunwald GK, Hill JO. Relation between calcium intake and fat oxidation in adult humans. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. 2003;27:196–203. [PubMed
22)Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW. Harper’s Biochemistry. Appleton & Lange; Stamford, CT: 2000. p. 927.
23). Ni Z, Smogorzewski M, Massry SG. Effects of parathyroid hormone on cytosolic calcium of rat adipocytes. Endocrinology. 1994;135:1837–44. [PubMed]
24) Xue B, Greenberg AG, Kraemer FB, Zemel MB. Mechanism of intracellular calcium ([Ca2+]i) inhibition of lipolysis in human adipocytes. FASEB J. 2001;15:2527–29. [PubMed]
25) Sun X, Zemel MB. Calcium and dairy products inhibit weight and fat regain during ad libitum consumption following energy restriction in aP2-agouti transgenic mice. J. Nutr. 2004;134:3054–60. [PubMed])
26) Zimmermann R, Strauss JG, Haemmerle G, Schoiswohl G, Birner-Gruenberger R, et al. Fat mobilization in adipose tissue is promoted by adipose triglyceride lipase. Science. 2004;306:1383–86. [PubMed]
27)Alan, H. Gowenlock, Janet, R. McMurray and Donald, M McLanchlan (2002) Varley’s Practical Clinical Biochemistry, 6th Ed., pg 601.
28 Foster-Schubert KE, Alfano CM, Duggan C, et al. Effect of diet and exercise, alone or combined, on weight and body composition in overweight-to-obese post-menopausal women. Obesity (Silver Spring)(Epub ahead of print 14 April 2011)
29) Reinehr T, de Sousa G, Alexy U, Kersting M, Andler W. Vitamin D status and parathyroid hormone in obese children before and after weight loss. Eur J Endocrinol 2007;157:225–32 [PubMed]
30) Holecki M, Zahorska-Markiewicz B, Janowska J, et al. The influence of weight loss on serum osteoprotegerin concentration in obese perimenopausal women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2007;15:1925–9[PubMed])
31) Caitlin Mason, Liren Xiao, Ikuyo Imayama, Catherine R Duggan, Carolyn Bain, Karen E Foster-Schubert, Angela Kong, Kristin L Campbell, Ching-Yun Wang, Marian L Neuhouser, Li Li, Robert W Jeffery, Kim Robien, Catherine M Alfano, George L Blackburn, and Anne McTiernan,2011,Effects of weight loss on serum vitamin D in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jul; 94(1): 95–103.
Published online 2011 May 25. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.111.015552 PMID: 21613554,PMCID: PMC3127511
32)Tzotzas T, Papadopoulou FG, Tziomalos K, et al2010,. Rising serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels after weight loss in obese women correlate with improvement in insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab2010;95:4251–7
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Medical Practice and Review
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.