The association between Allergic rhinitis and asthma among adolescents
Asthma prevalence is rising globally and is expected to further rise according to the WHO for the future decade. Many studies had shown that asthma is associated with allergic rhinitis and it showed a better outcome if allergic rhinitis is treated earlier.
To spot the light on the prevalence of allergic rhinitis &asthma among adolescents aand find the association between them.
Cross section study enrolled adolescents with age 18-21years both male and female from a college of medicine in Baghdad. Data collection done by using self-ministered questionnaire,713 students were involved , with total male of 294,while females were 419 ,Prevalence of allergic rhinitis 58.5% in females and 52.7% in females, sex was not associated with allergic rhinitis. Prevalence of asthma in total sample was 4%.and it was associated with allergic rhinitis p<0.5.In Conclusion: Allergic rhinitis prevalence is increasing in Iraqi adolescents' regardless sex, and it is associated with asthma.
1. Richard D deShazo, MD Stephen F Kemp, MD Allergic rhinitis: Clinical manifestations, epidemiology, and diagnosis https://www.uptodate.com
2. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention(2018 update).
3. Celine Bergeron and Qutayba Hamid Relationship between Asthma and Rhinitis: Epidemiologic, Pathophysiologic, and Therapeutic Aspects A llergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology20051:81 https://doi.org/10.1186/1710-1492-1-2-81 © Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2005.
4. Mona Al-Ahmad MBBCh FRCPC Combined Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma Syndrome WAO Updated: June 2015 Originally Posted: October 2004.
5. Settipane RA.Demographics and epidemiology of allergic and nonallergic rhinitis .Allergy Asthma Proc 2001;22:185.
6. Ruby Pawankar Allergic diseases and asthma: a global public health concern and a call to action. World Allergy Organization Journal20147:55 https://doi.org/10.1186/1939-4551-7-12© Pawankar; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2014 Received: 23 April 2014 Accepted: 23 April 2014 Published: 19 May 2014
7. Maureen Egan and Supinda Bunyavanich Allergic rhinitis: the “Ghost Diagnosis” in patients with asthma Asthma Research and Practice20151:8 https://doi.org/10.1186/s40733-015-0008-0 © Egan and Bunyavanich. 2015
8. WHO Iraq Family Health Survey IFHS, 2006/7
9. Mohammadreza Masjedi et al Assessing the Prevalence and Incidence of Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in the Eastern Mediterranean Region Turk Thorac J 2018; 19: 56-60.
10. MAJ Kirk H. Waibel, MC USA Allergic Rhinitis in the Middle East MILITARY MEDICINE, 170, 12:1026, 2005 .
11. Mistrello G.a et al Date Palm Pollen Allergoid: Characterization of Its Chemical-Physical and Immunological Properties Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2008;145:224–230 https://doi.org/10.1159/000109291
12. Mona Al-Ahmad MBBCh FRCPC Asthma and Allergic Rhinitis in the Gulf and Near East: Epidemiology, risk factors of asthma and co-morbid allergic rhinitis http://www.worldallergy.org/
13. Dr Aya Rahman Lafta and Dr Mohammed Shamssain
Comparison Of The Prevalence Rates Of Asthma And Allergies Between UAE And Iraqi School children.ejpmr ,2016,3,(3),15-22.
14. Salih Muhammad Awadh Geochemistry and mineralogical composition of airborne particles of sand dunes and dust storms settled in Iraq and their environmental impacts. .Environmental Earth Sciences August 2012,Volume 66,Issue 8 ,pp 2247-2256.
15. Ibrahim M Aliyas. Dimensions of Desertification on sustainable development in Iraq. 10.21474/IJAR01/1655 .
16. Lucia Cazzoletti ,et al The gender, age and risk factor distribution differs in self-reported allergic and non-allergic rhinitis: a cross-sectional population-based study Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology201511:36https://doi.org/10.1186/s13223-015-0101-1
17. Khan M,et al. Association of allergic rhinitis with gender and asthma.J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2013;25(1-2).
18. Maziar Moradi-Lakeh et al. Prevalence of asthma in Saudi adults: findings from a national household survey, 2013 BMC Pulm Med. 2015; 15: 77. Published online 2015 Jul 28. doi: 10.1186/s12890-015-0080-5.
19. Farrokhi S et al Prevalence and risk factors of asthma and allergic diseases in primary schoolchildren living in Bushehr, Iran: phase I, III ISAAC protocol. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Oct;13(5):348-55.
20. Abdulghani MohamadAlsamarai et al The Relationship between Asthma and Allergic Rhinitis in the Iraqi Population Allergology International Volume 58, Issue 4, 2009, Pages 549-555
21. Semanur Kuyucu et al.Epidemiologic characteristics of rhinitis in Turkish Children: the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) phase 2.Paediatric Allergy &Immunology Volume 17, Issue 4 Pages 269-277.
22. M.O. Al-Ghobain et al Prevalence of Rhinitis Symptoms Among 16 to 18 Years Old Adolescents in Saudi Arabia The Indian Journal of Chest Diseases & Allied Sciences 2013;Vol.55 p. 11-14.
23. Justo Padilla et al Association between Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma Control in Peruvian School Children: A Cross-Sectional Study BioMed Research International Volume 2013, Article ID 861213, 7 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/861213.
Copyright (c) 2018 Journal of Medical Practice and Review
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.